Tuesday, September 12, 2006

'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin Dies in Stingray Attack

'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin dies in Stingray AttackSteve Irwin, the man known around the world as the "Crocodile Hunter" in Australia has died in a stingray attack off the Great Barrier Reef.

Irwin, 44, had been filming a documentary off Port Douglas in northern Queensland when he was killed by a stingray barb through the heart. He was rushed to hospital by helicopter, but he died en route.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program Crocodile Hunter. First broadcast in Australia in 1992, the program was picked up by the Discovery network, catapulting Irwin to international fame.

Irwin made news headlines in 2004 after involving his infant son in one of his crocodile stunts. Irwin held his son Bob, who was a month old at the time, in one arm while he dangled a piece of chicken over the snapping jaws of a four-metre crocodile.

Irwin is survived by his American-born wife Terri, their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob.

[Source from; cbc.ca]
delicious furl Yahoo My Web Google Bookmark Blinklist Blogmark Simpy Shadow Netvouz Reddit Soc.ialize.us

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really and truly sorry for the Irwin family. I am here to support them in the death of Steve. I am a loyal, and BIG fan of his. I never missed an episode, I cried hard when I found out he had passed away. My prayers and thoughts are with the Irwins. May God and peace dance upon your hearts.
Megan Shields
Mooresville, Indiana. United States

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so and truly very sorry for Terri,Bindi,Bob,and the rest of the Irwin family.I took me the news,paper,and website.I have never missed one episde of his.I have his picture on my bedside.I feel gulty,very gulty.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home